Get Your Broker's License
Benefits of Becoming a Real Estate Broker
- Independence. Be your own boss and manage a team of real estate professionals.
- Control of Money. No share of commissions with others.
- Competitive edge. Broker license allows you to get more listings and make more sales.
What are you waiting for? Accelerate your career and complete your real estate broker license courses online at your figure tips! Take the necessary steps below to complete the real estate broker training and be your own boss - you'll have the skills to oversee your real estate office and manage a team. Start now!
To obtain your broker's license, you must complete 8 real estate courses, required by California Department of Real Estate (DRE). The good news is that you've taken at least 3 courses if you're already a real estate sale agent: Principles, Practice and an elective course. To find out more information about the requirements of applying for a Real Estate Broker license, click here.
How to Get a Broker's License
Here are the four basic steps you need to obtain your broker's license.
Step 1. Take the Real Estate Pre-licensing Course Required in California
To get your broker's license, you must have successfully completed the following eight statutorily required college-level courses:
- Real Estate Practice; and
- Legal Aspects of Real Estate; and
- Real Estate Finance; and
- Real Estate Appraisal; and
- Real Estate Economics or Accounting*; and
- Three courses from the following list:
- Real Estate Principles
- Business Law
- Property Management
- Real Estate Office Administration
- Mortgage Loan Brokering and Lending
- Advanced Legal Aspects of Real Estate
- Advanced Real Estate Finance
- Advanced Real Estate Appraisal
- Computer Applications in Real Estate
- Common Interest Developments
To find out more information about the requirements of applying for a Real Estate Broker License with DRE, click here.
Step 2. Pass the Broker Exam & Submit Your Broker's License Application
You may apply and pay for your real estate broker examination and license at the same time:
- Submit one application, Broker Exam/License Application (RE 436) , and both the exam and license fees
- Complete the Live Scan Service Request Form (RE 237)
- Proof successfully completing eight statutorily required college-level courses
- Proof of a minimum of two years full-time licensed salesperson experience within the last five years or the equivalent (use forms RE 226, RE 227 and/or RE 228)
NOTE: Please review Requirements to Apply for a Real Estate Broker License prior to submitting the application package to the DRE.
Step 3. Find a Sponsoring Real Estate Broker to Work For
Even if you’ve passed your broker exam and submitted your license application to DRE, you need to associate your license with a licensed real estate broker in order to start working as a real estate agent. Click here to learn how to form a Corporation in California.